Asbestos exposure killed train driver - Local - Hemel Gazette: A man who worked with steam locomotives died from a rare cancer after years of asbestos exposure.
Retired train driver Alfred Bryant, 76, of Dundale Road, Tring, had started out cleaning trains, before becoming a stoker and then a driver. During a hearing into his death on Thursday, Herts coroner Edward Thomas said: “He would touch asbestos and knock bits off as he cleaned. He would also be present when others removed asbestos material.”Some of the train cabs were insulated with asbestos. “In the early days the locomotives wobbled and rattled along which caused the asbestos to be disturbed,” said Mr Thomas.
Visit safety photo