Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Man badly burned in propane accident in Chico - Oroville Mercury Register

Man badly burned in propane accident in Chico - Oroville Mercury Register: CHICO — A man stripped off his clothes and hosed himself off Tuesday in north Chico after propane ignited burning much of his body.

A helicopter flew the propane company employee to UC Davis Medical Center's burn unit for his severe injuries, said Capt. Scott McLean of Cal Fire-Butte County.

About 10:50 a.m. Tuesday, the man was going to refill his propane delivery truck from the large tank at Shasta Vista Almond Huller on Anita Road when the fuel ignited. The huller owner, Bruce McClintock, dialed 9-1-1 and the truck driver in his office ran outside to put out the fire burning the man.

When Cal Fire crews arrived on scene, the truck driver was hosing off the man to cool him down, McLean said.

Visit safety photos